November 07, 2003

Thanks to  Archie Brewer and Bill Mielke for sharing their photos and memories.  It just reminds one how similar the life and times were for us all regardless of outstation location !  Archie writes: "When I was there it was just a small outfit, probably no more than about 25 people there at any one time.  It was a concertina wire enclosure about two to three hundred yards in diameter with two metal buildings on concrete slabs, two towers, a generator building and a guard shack."

Bill Mielke's contact list:

Description of a  2003 "revisit" to the former Wobeck listening post.

Stories .....

Ken Ast .... and just why drink beer from a hubcap?

The Flag .....

Sran and the Cop

Shemya ....

66.10 Kb
62.25 Kb
56.16 Kb
118.79 Kb
57.86 Kb
72.80 Kb
63.21 Kb
28.93 Kb
50.79 Kb
28.74 Kb
46.22 Kb
36.90 Kb
20.57 Kb
85.50 Kb
74.69 Kb
66.60 Kb
77.91 Kb
48.90 Kb
75.97 Kb
65.13 Kb
44.61 Kb

Top of Page

Contact List:

October 26, 2003 from Bill Mielke on located Wobeckers ..... 

The first batch of names built the site in early 1960.  They came down from a site called Wasserkuppe:

Arnold D. Burton

Larry L. Kreigh

Kenneth B. Blaker

John T. Lewis

Lt. Dean Carlson

Edward M. Mohr

SFC Lawrence Christner (deceased)

Daniel A. McLay

Edward F Conlin

Robert L. Reed

Glyn D. Folden

Bill Schnitzler (deceased)

Gerhardt J. Gall

James G. Simmons

Roger G. George

Harold Vining

Herman B. Howare


Edward L. Houghton


SSG Nicholas Kaps


And these are some of  the guys that followed them.   From 1960, until NSA shut the site down, and the US Army  took over

in late 1964 or early 65:

David J. Bateman

Roy Johnson

Noah L. Beckner( deceased)

Stanley C. Kozak

Ron V. Brown( deceased)

Thomas Kirn

Richard J. Boyajian (possible deceased)

Matty Kurzatkowski

Thomas (Benny) Borden

George W. Kahn

Stan Bauer

Edward H. Leiser

James V. Betts

Norm Loeffler

Ron Baber

Mike Laddyzewski

Archie Brewer

Bruce Mullineux

David Breetwor

Jerry Nosanov

Henry D . Bishop

Lyle J. Ottney

William Blackburn

Thomas M Prince

Al Collins

Larry E. Reed (deceased)

Ken( Chubby) Chalmers

Bill Rawcliffe

Bobby R. Cantrell

Don Reichert

Dennis Calahan

Arnold Schauss

Herbert W. Forbes

Dennis Sassa

Mike Falvey

John Schellinger

Ray Gauthier

James Stahl

Kevin Gisea

Gordon Smith

1st Lt. Edward E. Groff

Jon A. Thornton

Tom Hovland

James G. Smith

Dan M. Humboldt

David B . Strieby

Harold Hamilton

John L. Walker

James A. Helms

Jim Willette

Emmanuel  I. Hilt

Ward P. Whitlock

Wayne Hadju

Constantine (Gus) Yankopolus  (deceased)

Lawrence D. Ingersoll


James Ingrody


Top of Page

If anyone would like information on how to contact these folks please use the Feedback Form.


Wobeck 2003 Revisit

Sent: Sunday, July 28, 2002 3:36 PM

Subject: Wobeck Site


We just got back from Germany about two weeks ago, with many things getting in the way upon return. I did get to the old site location, which was not easy to find. We searched for usable roads leading into the Elm at about the area where I recalled the site to be. I also had an old Kreis Helmstedt map which covered the area. Since the borders have opened up, the area has begun to prosper in ways that it couldn't do when it was essentially the "end of the world" for travel. Now, the Elm forest is a busy area and there are many roads being used for both hiking and logging operations (though limited). Finally, after many false turns, we found the access road. It is the second paved road on the left as you come up from Schoeningen. Unfortunately, we came at it from the other direction, having been staying in Braunschweig. It took a while to get the right road from that direction. The old British site is still down the road and readily identifiable. Their buildings all remain and some are in use for camping, etc., while others are just abandoned and run down. Our old site is a different story. Nothing remains. There are a number of cables sticking out of the soil, most of which is overgrown. A very serious and successful leveling operation was done on the place. An outline of a building remains, as does a cement pad area. Most other areas are inside of an area fenced off with wire to prevent injuries, I guess. It is easily scaled, which I (of course) did. That is where the suspected tower mounts and partially buried cableways are located. I picked up a few samples, such as obviously US-manufactured cable pieces, etc. At first glance the site area, while cleared, does not stand out as anything special. Only upon very close further inspection can one make out that it had been something else. Another twenty years, or less, and it will be very hard to tell much of anything. It was, in fact, hard for me to get the site oriented in my mind. We had been there when the site was much smaller and way before the Torii Tower went in. More space had to be cleared for the expanded site than we were familiar with. Though I had been back on two subsequent occasions after the Torii Tower went up, the site which we knew basically ceases to exist. Much of it was gone or revised once the big tower replaced the masts we knew. I took a series of digital photos with my video camera and will attempt to attach them to this e-mail. I've attempted this with other photos before and trying to send more than one didn't seem to work. Here goes. The first photo is from the far side of the site toward the entry road in the right rear. The second photo is inside the wire fence and shows (barely) some of the wiring sticking out of the ground. The third is a footing of a building (later ops?) adjacent to the access/pad. The fourth is of the access road/pad inside the site area. I took two others, plus one of the old border area outside of Schoeningen, but these may be the best. Hope they get through. Not much to see, I'm afraid.


Top of Page

Why Drink Beer from a Hub Cap?????









Top of Page

The Flag ......


It was in the early morning hours of July 4, 1964, that a small group of soldiers internally fortified with a sufficient quantity of good brew (Stan Bauer, Archie Brewer, and a couple of other brave soldiers whose names have been lost in time or who don’t want to own up to what I think is one of the neatest things I have ever been involved in) laid siege to the British detachment at Helmstedt, West Germany. Not armed with musket or cannon but only with an American flag, a little can of grease, and a knife, we made our way into the British detachment. The British detachment or NAAFI (Navy, Army, Air Force, Institutes ) was situated along side the Autobahn just prior to entering East Germany on the way to Berlin. Among other duties the NAAFI supplied guards for the border checkpoint and had a great little club. We would go there from time to time, drink a few beers and socialize. We got to know some of their guys real well which made our encroachment all the more meaningful.

Before daylight on that fateful July 4th we made our way into the compound, through a few doorways and there it was, their Union Jack flying in all its splendor. Quickly, as daylight was approaching, we lowered the Union Jack and raised the Stars and Stripes. Stan shinnied up the flagpole, cut and then tied off the rope and greased the pole on the way down. We got out of there as fast as we could, only stopping long enough to catch our breath and laugh a little along the way.

We finally got up enough nerve to drive by the NAAFI about 10 that morning and sure enough, there it was, Old Glory flying at the British detachment for everyone, including all who were driving between Frankfurt and Berlin, to see.

Of all the good clean fun we had in Germany that has to be at the top of the list.


Top of Page

Sran and the Cop

Top of Page

Shemya .....

Top of Page